Friday the 13th in Ghana

Friday the 13th, started with an hour walk to Waya, the district capital of Adaklu, where we sat baking in the sun for another hour which we spent waiting for a trotro to drive by and pick us up so that we could get to Ho. Then when a taxi finally gave us hope it took another 20 minutes for us to actually leave. It was a very small car and there were four of us plus the driver and another man he was driving to Ho. So Cole had it easy in the front seat while I was squished between a Ghanaian man I’d never met before, Ellen, and Fred. But I think what made it special was the fact that there were live tied up chickens behind the back seat that were not too happy about all the bumps in the road. At some points I would forget they were there until they sqwawked so loud we jumped. Some may have called that extremely, uncomfortable hour long ride a side effect of friday the 13th, but for us it was just another crazy adventure!

I lost track of all the insane things that have happened to us during the two weeks we have been here, but I will say that every single one has been exciting and a blessing. Last weekend, we attended our first Ghanaian funeral when our town, Anfoe, pretty much doubled in size and started a weekend long party with all the music you could ever need! And it was my first time seeing a dead body, actually we saw two, because they were having three funerals at once.

I swear I have never had to have so much patience in my life. There is so much waiting around in their culture it’s been driving us up a wall. For the most part though, I think we have gotten pretty used to it. I guess it’s just another lesson Ghana is bent on teaching us.

The work we have been doing in Abuadi, working with the community and to get the school clean water, has been absolutely amazing. We have already gotten our interviews done, analyzed the data, come up with a solution, and now we are trying to fundraise for the project! Already we have gotten a lot of donations which is always good news! I think that getting to know the Abuadi community before we decided what to do was a really crucial part not just so we could hear what the community had to say, but also so we could realize how badly they need water. It broke my heart listening to the mothers and fathers talk about how their children had to run home during their breaks just to get a drink of water before running back. And during the dry season the kids would have to stand in long lines to get water causing them to be very late to school. My heart has definitely taken a beating with this project. Even during the interviews when we asked them if they had any questions they would always ask us if we were there to help. Apparently, they’ve had people come before making promises to help but none ever came through on their promises. So the community members were deservedly skeptical about our project. Hopefully we will raise our goal amount soon so that we can start working with the community on this project and show them that we are here to help.

It makes me so happy to know that this is only the beginning of my journey here in Ghana. I have so much more to do and some many people to get to know. Ghana truly is so friendly. I have felt safe, welcomed, and happy this entire time thanks to the amazing people we have come into contact with! I can’t wait to see what else is in store!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s